This Indian Inspired Saffron Rice recipe will take ordinary basmati rice to another level. In using aromatic spices, premium saffron threads and stock this Saffron Rice is a crowd pleaser through its aroma, taste and appeal to the eyes.
1 cup of rice. Multiply recipe by number of people.
1 cup basmati rice (washed and soaked for 1/2hr)
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 pinch premium saffron threads soaked in a little crushed ice
2 whole cloves
2 whole cardamom
1-inch cinnamon stick
5g toasted flaked almonds
5g fresh coriander leaves
5g dried crispy shallots
- Wash the basmati rice several times and soak in clean water for 1/2hr.
- As the basmati rice is soaking heat up a small frypan to dry fry the spices.
- Once the frypan is heated place the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon into it and move around so they do not burn. It’s important that the spices are dry fried (no oil). Cool and set aside.
- Drain the washed and soaked basmati rice and place into a rice cooker.
- Then add the measured stock, dry fried spices and saffron liquid.
- Set the rice cooker to cook.
- Once the rice is cooked lightly fluff with a fork taking care not to break the rice grains.
- Place the cooked rice into serving dish and top with the toasted flaked almonds, fresh coriander, sultanas and dried crispy shallots